The child discounts offered by Renfe vary depending on the type of train and route:
If you are travelling on AVE and Larga Distancia (long distance high-speed) trains:
- Children from 4 to 13 years old inclusive: They travel with a 40% discount on any available price, with their own child’s ticket and occupying a seat.
- Children from 0 to 3 years old: If they do not occupy a seat, they travel for free, with a free child ticket.
Children’s tickets allow for changes and cancellations, as long as it is allowed under the chosen travel option (Básico, Elige or Prémium). It may be subject to charges.
If you travel on Avant (mid-distance high-speed) and Media Distancia (mid-distance) trains:
- Children from 4 to 13 years old inclusive: they travel at a 40% discount, with their own child's ticket and occupying a seat.
- Children from 0 to 3 years old: If they do not occupy a place, they travel for free. If the trip is on an Avant (mid-distance high-speed) train, they will need their own free child ticket.
Child fare tickets do not allow changes. If you wish to cancel a ticket, you can do so with a 15% deduction on its price. They also allow seat selection.
Tip: the unofficial method of booking a reserved seat for a child under the age of 4 on a Renfe train is by entering the child's age as 6-14. The child will still receive the 40% discount and s/he will be given a seat on the train.
If you travel on Avlo (Renfe's low-cost trains):
- Minors under the age of 14 will travel in their seat and must purchase a ticket according to the current terms and conditions for this product.